Monday, September 26, 2011

compline

Compline is a prayer for the end of the day.  This one comes from Northumbria Community :

The Sacred Three
to save
to shield
to surround
the hearth
the home
this night
and every night....

O God who is one,
O God who is true,
O God who is first....

O God of life, this night,
O darken not to me Thy light.
O God of life, this night,
close not Thy gladness to my sight.

Keep Your people, Lord,
in the arms of Your embrace.
Shelter them under Your wings.

* Be their light in darkness.
Be their hope in distress.
Be their calm in anxiety.

* Be strength in their weakness.

* Be their comfort in pain.

* Be their song in the night.

In peace will I lie down, for it is You, O Lord,
You alone who makes me to rest secure.
Be it on Your own beloved arm,
O God of grace, that I in peace shall awake.

Be the peace of the Spirit
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Son
mine this night.
Be the peace of the Father
mine this night.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. You had left a comment on Pam's Sunday's post and I thought, "Anyone who mentions B.T.Brown...I'll check out."

    It has been a long day and I've still a lot to do this evening. Thank you for this wonderful evening prayer. It offered me a sacred moment of pause.a

    Many Blessings ~ Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri, thanks for visiting LLL.

    I began blogging as a way to provide a Lenten Study for those who were not able to attend a small gathering. I used Joyce Rupp's book "A Cup of Life". I also began the blog as a way to help me stay accountable to my own Lenten study.

    I have long known that journaling is a way for me to stay sane, to stay connected to the Source of all Life. Blogging truly does keep me accountable. I was off last week when I went to Chicago to help my daughter with a new baby...a needy baby. When I wasn't shhhhh and patting a tiny bottom, I was working on church work. I didn't get any journaling done and it begins to show up in my life.

    I've a lot to learn about blogging, not sure when I will put that into my schedule!

    Hope your day goes well.

    Many Blessings ~ Sandi

    ReplyDelete