Saturday, February 12, 2011

the ridiculous in the everyday

Just went through the drive-thru for my daily pop run (my "need" for this stuff gives me a lot of respect for those in AA or similar programs - I think you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to rehab before I could give this habit up).  Anyway, the place has 2 drive-thru lanes - the better to serve us - so I skipped the one with 5 cars in line and went to the one with only one car.  You can almost automatically pull into this second lane from another entrance to the parking lot, and I think some folks think that lane is only for those people.  Who knows, there may even be a sign that says so.  If you don't look, you don't have to know - that's my motto.  The car in front of me has a long order which includes 12 diet cokes (it's just like the grocery store - I always get behind these people!), and the car in the other lane finishes its order and drives to the window.  The woman behind that car, she looks to be in her 60's or 70's, pulls up and the automatic greeting goes off when she pulls up to give her order.  This particular franchise has a female employee who is always unusually chipper.  When they let her record the greeting, she goes all out:  "Gooood morning!!! Welcome to ---!!!  Please try our ---!!!  Order when you're ready!!!"  This voice has made me jump and wince more than once at 7:30 a.m.  I don't know if a real human then spoke, or if the woman tried to order; I was listening to the people in front of me talk and talk and talk.  But then I hear the woman yell, "Hello?  Hello?!"  No one responds to her - it must be all hands on deck for this car in front of me.  The woman continues, quite regularly, and loudly, "Hello?!  Hello?!  HELLO?!?!?!"  Finally she just pulls up toward the window.  Then the car in front of me moves (woo hoo!) and it's my turn.  I order my pop and pull up as much as I can.  The other drive-thru lane seems to be working normally now.  I can pull up far enough for the car behind me to order, but her window's not quite next to the microphone.  When the goofy greeting goes off and then someone says, "Can I help you?" the woman behind me screams, "ARE YOU TALKING TO ME???"  Amateurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment