Sunday, June 27, 2010

choosing life 06/27/10

There is a book by Elaine N. Aron called The Highly Sensitive Person.  I am definitely an HSP.  I think of it as having only one layer of skin, rather than the many layers we actually have.  If you're a C.S. Lewis fan, it reminds me of Eustace in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Eustace turned into a dragon, and when it was time to rip the dragon skin off and become human again, Aslan had to help him, and at first it "smarted like anything."  Or think of a scab that you rip off too soon, and then begin poking at the wound with a stick.  The past couple of days I've been choosing life by saying "no," to walking the dogs, phone calls from friends, visiting family, etc., but I think it was the right thing to do.  When life feels like lying on a bed of nails instead of a mattress, I withdraw for a while, rest, recharge, and get ready to live in the world again.

Today I walked the dogs again and enjoyed their excitement, seeing how the ducklings have grown - I can tell which are male/female now - and a single white wildflower on the bank of the creek (as we jogged/splashed by in duck-chasing mode) that resembled a pansy, I think.  Or a chim-pansy - hee hee.  Sorry, just got back from being with Grandpa and watching "The Apple Dumpling Gang" together - still in silly mode.  I have been a huge fan of Tim Conway since I was little.

On the way home, I also observed and enjoyed a dad and two children, ages 3-5-ish, clean what I think was a pool liner spread out on the lawn.  Dad had the brush, littlest kid had the 409, and "biggest" kid had the hose.  Spray, scrub, rinse - it was really sweet.

Goals for today are to send several emails then cool down the house and take a nap with the boys - it's Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment