Saturday, April 24, 2010

fun with kids 10/16/09

Today, I received outside confirmation that my trouble understanding Grandpa's speech is not entirely due to him.  After my lesson with N. ended, he and his younger brother L. told me they were taking out a tree.  What?  Why? I wondered.  And why do I care?  But instead I used my great linguistic ability and said a more concise, "What?"  "We're taking out a tree!" both boys said.  "We're shooting!" L. added.  I'm thinking, WHY are you cutting down a tree...it's too early for Christmas, isn't it?.....yes.....and HOW on earth are you going to get it down by shooting it?  With an Uzi?  What is wrong with you people?!  Rather than confuse them with all my questions I modeled excellent verbal expression and scrunched up my face and said, "Huh?"  Then L. lifted up his bow and N. said slowly, as if speaking to a....well, to me, "We're taking AR-CHER-Y!"

1 comment: