Sunday, August 8, 2010

the retreat - day 6 - Jan. 13, 2008 - Isaiah's call

From journal:

Isaiah 6:1-8 - the call of Isaiah:
Who he was:  ? - not sure, but a son is mentioned in 7:3 and he conceives a son in 8:1-3

Nature of call:  HOLINESS!  vision of God on throne, his robe filled the temple, seraphim calling God holy, doorposts and thresholds shook, temple filled with smoke

Isaiah's response:  Woe is me, for I have seen God, and I (my lips) am unclean and live among unclean people!

God:  sent a seraphim to touch Isaiah's lips with a burning coal - now your guilt is gone, your sin is atoned for - whom shall I send?  Who will go for us?  ("us" instead of "me" - trinity)

Isaiah:  "Here am I.  Send me!"  (Isaiah doesn't even know what he's volunteering for yet.)

God:  says with irony - go tell (your own) people, the people you live among, to repent and be healed (they won't)

Isaiah:  "For how long?"  No hesitation to obey.

God:  until this land is utterly forsaken

in this passage, Isaiah is overcome with awe and eagerness

No comments:

Post a Comment