Sunday, August 8, 2010

the retreat - day 6 - Jan. 13, 2008 - Jeremiah's call

From journal:

Jeremiah 1:4-9 - the call of Jeremiah
Who he was:  priest, would remain unwed and without children at God's command/warning, introspective, honest and comfortable/familiar with God to an extent, later:  sad, insecure

Nature of the call:  loving, tender, that of a caregiver - Ps. 139 - I knew you and I set you apart before you even existed, before you even became aware of yourself - be a prophet to the nations

Jeremiah's response:  "Ah, Sovereign Lord...."  You can almost hear the wheels turning in J's mind, backpedalling, whoa whoa whoa, I know what happens to prophets around here, I should have checked caller ID - I don't know how, I'm too young

God:  dismisses J's age objection as if with a wave of his hand - "Don't say..." - you must go to everyone I send you and say everything I command you - simple, broad instructions, as if to a child? - do not be afraid of them, I am with you, and I will rescue you - then touched J's mouth - I have put my words in your mouth and I appoint you...

God responds to Jeremiah's unspoken fear for his safety as well.

Portrait of Jeremiah by Rembrandt

No comments:

Post a Comment