Thursday, June 9, 2011

close encounters...

Every once in a while we run into a person, a stranger, who impacts our lives in a way that makes us think there was something more going on there...

Yesterday in Target my body went down the markers, etc. aisle even though my brain was screaming at me to keep walking and just get what I went in there for in the first place.  A boy who looked about 10 or so was standing in the aisle, alone, holding a pack of markers.  He was browsing, not panicking, so I smiled at him and browsed too.  He walked up to me - at first I thought he would pass me, so I moved over.  But he stopped in front of me and looked me straight in the eye; I could tell he wanted to say something.  I assumed that even though I was wearing blue I looked incredibly competent, so I asked him if he needed help with anything.  (Okay, I just read that sentence again.  What I mean is I wasn't wearing the Target red and khaki!)  He brushed my question off with a quick glance to the side, then looked back at me and said something, I can't remember what, but we talked about how we both loved this aisle and that he was a creative person.  Then he began a 2- or 3-minute monologue about his imaginary friends, all of whom have names that start with S.  He listed at least 10 names.  He had a facial tick as he talked that made me think this topic was very important to him.  He finished by insisting that since he created his friends, they can do whatever he wants them to do, and his mom and dad shouldn't get him in trouble when his friends do bad stuff.  Sounds logical to me.  Then he walked away...

I love it when that happens.



Simple BPM

8 comments:

  1. sounds like you were in the right place when a young boy needed to talk....you must have one of those faces where people tell you stuff.....me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww lol! That's sweet!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - you can definitely copy my idea. It's nice to concentrate on the happy things in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's those small moments, the small encounters that often give us so much more than what we'd bargained for. And having eyes open to experience it fully makes those moments so rich and full. So glad you linked up today. I've had those moments in Target, too, with random people who have left lasting impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you took the time to listen...that must be what he needed, just someone to listen! Wonderful simple moment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a moment! I'm so glad you were open to him too. I imagine many people would have just brushed the little guy off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it neat when those synchronistic moments happen ~ glad you recognized it ~ There are so many 'angels' around ~ ^_^ ~ Wishing you the best in the day ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun chance encounter! It's conversations like that which make the days memorable :)

    ReplyDelete