Saturday, June 11, 2011

three picture books

This summer I'm tutoring a young cousin in basic pre-reading skills - letter identification, phonics, etc.  I bookended our first lesson (aren't I clever to use a pun?  eye roll) with these first two books:

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault
Illustrated by Lois Ehlert

What's not to love about Chicka Chicka Boom Boom?   Fun story, witty writing such as "black-eyed p," rhymes, and a meter you can't help but bounce and read along to.   My cousin A. liked the mommy and daddy letters taking care of their children when they all fell out of the coconut tree.   Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!




The Preposterous Rhinoceros by Robert Bender

I found this book in a used bookstore.  I was especially pleased to see it uses some of the same rhymes we work on in tutoring: snake/cake, goat/boat, mouse/house, etc., which makes it a great companion to that lesson.  Using the pictures as cues, the child can complete the rhyme:  "...and a goat in a..."  "Coat!"  This book can also be used to develop comprehension, fact/fiction, and prediction.  "Why is Alvin sad?"  "Do toads really drive cars?"  "What do you think might happen when Alvin goes outside?"




Tumble Bumble by Felicia Bond

I think I found this book in a used bookstore, too - that's where I get most of my books.  I read this to A. at the end of our second session.  The animals in this book have an adventure which is told in rhyme.  The rhymes are not always in a regular, predictable meter, which gives the child a greater challenge ("a crocodile smile," for example).

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm so glad you visited my blog so that I could find your delightful blog! Thank you!

    "The Preposterous Rhinocerous" -- that one has me at the title. I must find that book!

    (I get many of my picture books from our public library's used book tables, which they have at most branches -- used books are truly a treasure trove!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Tumble Bumble! Visiting from Weekend Wind Down.

    ReplyDelete