Monday, May 17, 2010

Celebration of a life - part 1

On Christmas Day, 1995, I gave Grandpa a book to record his memories in and return to me. It was dated Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 and had questions for him to answer each day. He gave me the book back, filled out, on Christmas 1996 - 7 weeks after Grandma had died. I think a lot of people would enjoy reading some of these memories, so I'll post them here, and we can celebrate Grandpa together.

What was your day and date of birth? Where were you born? Be specific.
I was born on Friday, August 10th, 1917. I was born in a country home approximately 6 miles northeast of Essex, Iowa. The house was about 1/2 mile from the main road.



Do you know any other circumstances of your birth (who was present, who delivered, etc.)?
The only thing I can think of is that a neighbor lady took care of my mother. Also I think my grandmother was there.

If you have a childhood picture for me, put it in this space:
This picture of me, I was 6 years old.  Notice the leather strap on the bib of my overalls.  I got a new pocket watch.  Was I ever proud of it.


 
Name your brothers and sisters.
Viola, Delbert, and Elroy

 
Glen, Elroy, Viola, Delbert - "Sometime before 1942, because I married your Grandma in 1942."

What were your mother's and father's full names?
Anna Odelia and Nathaniel (no second name)

 
What was your mother's date and place of birth?
My mother's birthday was Dec. 29, 1884.  She was born in the town of Essex, Iowa.  The house that she was born in is still be lived in.  I have a picture of the house.
 
What was your father's date and place of birth?
My father's date of birth was Feb. 8, 1885.  As far as I know, he was born in the country.  Near to the town of Essex, Iowa (6 miles northeast).  I learned later that my father was born in the same home I was born in.  He was born on Feb. 8, 1885 and I was born Aug. 10, 1917 - thirty-two years after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment