Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Celebration of a life - part 16

Did you go fishing in your childhood?
In my childhood I did go fishing some.

Tell about your biggest or best catch.
The biggest fish that I caught was a carp. It weighed a pound. I was really proud that I caught such a big fish. "HA HA"

Do you remember having a favorite candy? How much did it cost?
Yes, my favorite candy was peanut clusters, one pound cost 25 cents. Also I liked Milky Way candy bar. One bar cost 5 cents.

Do you remember having a favorite snack that you made at home?
Yes my favorite snack that I made at home was plain soda crackers and vanilla frosting. I put the frosting on the crackers and it was good. I made the frosting with powdered sugar and water.

Share a memory about going on a picnic.
The memory of a picnic was a surprise to me as my folks had arranged to meet another family for a picnic in a park in Red Oak, Iowa. That family had moved to another farm from our neighborhood so the get-together was very nice, as we hadn't seen each other for some time. As a family we had many picnics with friends and relatives.

What kinds of party games or party activities were popular?
In my childhood, the parties I went to was birthday parties. The games we played was no doubt some sort of small kids games.

Share a memory involving a heatwave or drought.
The drought that I have a memory of was in 1934. Very little rain in spring, so the corn crop was very poor.

What did you do to stay cool?
To stay cool we would play in the shade as much as possible. At night we would have the windows open. We didn't have electricity on our farm so we couldn't use electric fans.

Share a birthday party memory.
I don't recall any special birthday party, but I do remember in my teen years, a cousin of mine from Poplar, Wis. visited me on my birthday.

Tell about the neatest shoes you ever owned as a youth.
The neatest pair of shoes I had was a pair of brown oxfords.

Share a memory about a power outage.
When I was growing up at home on our farm, we didn't have electricity, then we didn't have a power outage.

Relate a memory involving a flood or cloudburst.
When I was in grade school I can remember going home from school, after it had rained, crossing over on a bridge, the large creek was quite full.

Relate a memory of a tornado, hurricane, or destructive wind.
In my childhood there was a tornado in the town of Clarinda, IA. where my uncle lived, his home wasn't damaged. After it was over with he told us how bad it was.

What memories do you have of lightning or thunder during your childhood?
In my childhood I can remember seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder, it really was bad sometimes, but I don't remember being afraid.

Share a special memory about riding in a boat.
When I was a teenager a group of us boys went on a trip to the Lake of the Ozarks, then we had a ride in a speed boat on the lake. It was my brother Delbert and I and three other boys that went on this trip.

Tell about a family vacation trip.
The family vacation trip we took was from Essex, Iowa to Greenfield, Iowa, about 100 miles one way. We had relatives who lived there. My two brothers and sister were so thrilled to be able to go on such a long trip, at least we thought it was far. We had a very good time, I was about 13 years old.

Share the best vacation experience you can recall.
The best vacation experience I can recall is when a group of our young people from our church went to a Bible camp. It was in northern Iowa. Our young people's group was from Fremont Covenant Church.

Share the most unpleasant vacation experience you can recall.
I don't remember of any unpleasant experience we had on a vacation.

Do you have any other memories about a river, lake, or beach to share?
When I was growing up we had a place called Porter's Lake, it was a few miles from our home. It was a very small lake. We enjoyed going there for picnics and there was a roller skating rink there also.

I couldn't resist adding this pic of Grandpa, Dad and I at a beach in California, early 1970's.

No comments:

Post a Comment