Monday, May 17, 2010

Celebration of a life - part 5

Tell of someone you envied, and why.
I can't think of anybody that I envied.

Do you remember the first movie you ever saw and who starred in it?
The first movie I seen was about John Deere machines.  I do not remember who starred in it.

What was your favorite meal as a child?
My favorite meal was escalloped potatoes.  I also liked pork sausage, on bread with yellow gravy on top.  I also liked homemade mincemeat pie.

What were you doing to first smash a finger?
I don't think I smashed a finger, but I did cut my thumb with a pocket knife, trying to cut a peach seed.  I still have a scar on my left thumb.

Who was the most famous person you ever met as a child?
Evangelist Rev. Frank Mangs was a native of Sweden, who spoke in a local church in Red Oak, Iowa.  He spoke through an interpreter, as he could only speak Swedish.

Tell about a big fib you told.
I can't remember telling a big fib.  I know that lying is wrong.

Did you ever hop a freight train?  Explain.
No I never did hop a freight train.
(Grandpa did ride one, though.  Yesterday he told me that when he was a boy he wanted to ride a train, so he rode one from Essex to Shenandoah, about 5 miles, and his dad drove alongside in the car.)

Tell of a nickname given to you by friends or classmates.
I was given the nickname "Andy".

How did you get the nickname?
I went to an aviation trade school in Omaha, Neb. in the fall of 1940.  There the other students called me Andy.  The nickname Andy stayed with me all of the 41 years at Beech.

No comments:

Post a Comment